Family Law

Here at Olson Law Firm we know the stress and emotional toll that comes with change in your family structure due to divorce or change in custody. We also know the joy that comes with welcoming additions to your family. 

  • Done by the judgment of a court or competent jurisdiction decreeing a divorce of the parties. The effect of such judgment is to restore the parties to the state of unmarried persons. 
  • Grounds for divorce:
       – Adultery
       – Extreme Cruelty
       – Willful Desertion
       – Willful Neglect
       – Habitual Intemperance
       – Conviction of Felony
       – Irreconcilable Differences
  • Establishing the legal father of a child
  • In South Dakota, if the parties are married to each other when the child is born then paternity is automatically established, and the husband is presumed to be the legal father.
  • If the parties are not married to each other when the child is born, the paternity must be established before the father has any legal rights or responsibilities to the child. 
  • Physical Custody
         – Where the child(ren) lives primarily with one parent.
  • Legal Custody
         – When a parent has the right and the obligation to make decisions about a child’s upbringing.
  • Joint Legal Custody
         – When the decisions regarding the child(ren) are made by both parents.
  • Joint Physical Custody
         – When the child(ren) spend significant portion of time with each parent. 
  • Legal relationship that gives one or more individuals or agencies the responsibility of the personal affairs of a specified individual. In most situations guardianship is in regard to a minor. 
  • Who can be a guardian:
         – A family member or any other interested individual may petition for the appointment of guardianship.
  • Adoption is the legal process that establishes a relationship between a parent and a child that is recognized by the law.
  • After an adoption takes place, the parent is legally and morally responsible for the child in every way.
  • Refers to the sum of money that the noncustodial parent must pay to the custodial parent. This sum is the noncustodial parent’s contribution for the child or children’s basic living expenses.